Appendicitis is a medical emergency which calls for prompt surgery. Delaying the treatment could result in a severely painful condition. In Lucknow Gastro Care, we follow a systematic procedure to tackle appendicitis. Our leading gastroenterologist in Lucknow, Dr.Puneet Gupta ensures productive steps are taken to stabilize the case of appendicitis in a shorter span.
Our Clinic is one of the leading centers which provides the best utilities for appendicitis removal surgery in Lucknow. Time is an indispensable asset. Every move is crucial in the treatment of appendicitis. Our state of the art technology aids us to perform the most efficient way of appendix removal surgery in Lucknow.
What is appendicitis?
When the inner lining of the vermiform appendix gets inflamed, it is known as appendicitis. Deemed as one of the most common causes of abdominal pain, appendicitis is a clinical emergency.
The obstruction of the appendiceal lumen causes appendicitis. Lymphoid hyperplasia is the cause of luminal obstruction. Lymphoid hyperplasia develops secondary to inflammatory bowel disease or IBD. Obstruction releases pressure in the lumen. It also enlarges due to infections (bacterial, fungal and viral), fecal stasis, fecaliths (fecal debris and calcium salts are layered within the appendix). Other causes associated with the condition are gastroenteritis, Crohn’s disease, measles, amebiasis and mononeucliosis.
- Abdominal pain- abdominal pain starts at the periumbilical region or epigastric area and migrates to the right lower quadrant
- Vomiting – vomiting preceding the pain is indicative of intestinal obstruction
Signs and Symptoms
- Persistent throbbing pain that worsens when sitting down
- Irritation of skin around the anus
- Swelling, redness and tenderness in the area surrounding the anus
- Pus or blood discharge
- Pain during bowel movements
- Abdominal pain
- Change in bowel habits
- Weight loss
- Physical examination will reveal right lower quadrant tenderness, rigidity and guarding and pain on percussion. Left lower quadrant tenderness is also manifested. An inflamed hemiscrotum is noticed in male children and infants. Internal rotation of the thigh elicits pain in case of pelvic appendicitis. In retroperitoneal and retrocecal appendicitis, extension of the right thigh elicits pain.
- CBC indicates: WBC count < 10,500 cells/ul and neutrophils < 75% C-Reactive protein or CRP levels > 1 mg/dL indicate appendicitis
- CRP sensitivity test is done for patients who have to undergo appendectomy
- Liver and pancreatic function tests to evaluate bilirubin, transaminases, alkaline phosphatase etc. are done in patients who have no clarity in presentation
- Urinalysis helps in distinguishing appendicitis from urinary tract infections
- Urinary Beta-HCG differentiates appendicitis against early ectopic pregnancy
- Urinary 5-HIAA is an indicator of acute and early appendicitis
- Barium enema study is a single-contrast study done on an unprepared bowel will indicate incomplete filling of the appendix. Any spasm in the secum will suggest appendicitis.
- Ultrasonography demonstrates a tubular, non-compressive structure, 7-9 mm in diameter Radionuclide scanning requires drawing blood. Technitium labels are placed on the neutrophils and macrophages to be administered intravenously. Serial images of the abdomen and pelvis will indicate an inflamed appendiceal.
- Abdominal sonography for KUB or kidneys, ureters and bladder are viewed for appendicitis
Antibiotics are administered to eliminate infection and avoid complications. Penicillins are considered as bactericidal antibiotics working against sensitive organisms to inhibit the synthesis of mucopeptide and the cell wall. Zosyn containing piperacillin and tazobactam sodium acts against gram-positive, gram-negative anaerobic bacteria. Other anti-infective agents are ampicillin, sulbactam and ticarcillin.
We issue consultations on appendicitis opting for elective surgery in acute cases. Experience a hassle free care at Lucknow Gastro Care and get treated by the best appendix doctor in Lucknow.